Sunday, June 27, 2010

South Illinois ; land of heat, humidity, old cemeteries and water snakes!

(Image Left: Kinkaid Lake, Jackson Co. IL)
I haven't posted in a while, but quiet a bit has been happening here in Southern Illinois. Our office base is in Carbondale, home of the Southern Illinois University Carbondale Salukis. We have been busy surveying lakes, both diving and rake tossing. The climate so far has been in stark contrast to the thundering and rumbling rain of Indiana and Michigan. Everyday the sun has been high in the sky and the temperatures have ranged from the low to high 90's (both ambient and surface water). Imagine pulling up to a crystal clear lake, its hot and sweaty outside and you jump out of the van to run to the cool refreshing water - but it's the same dang temperature in the lake as it is outside! Imagine wearing a wet suit and snorkeling at the surface of the lake water. Let's just say that both the kayaker and the diver suffer - AND sweat!

(Kinkaid Lake, north launch) You don't have to be in the gulf to get sludge and grime on the surface of the water. This launch was located in a stagnant cove in the finger of the main lake . It seemed to be utilized fairly often, I don't know why the gunk collected here, and what it was made of either.)




(Horseshoe Lake, Alexander Co. IL) This is an oxbow lake of the ancient Mississippi River. The western edge of the lake was full of bald cypress trees (picture left) and most boat ramp areas where covered by a layer of Azolla, watermeal, and duckweed (picture right). Although we couldn't dive this treacherous lake, the views of the water among the cypress trees with the green living carpet was wonderful. I have not experiences many beautiful sights that compare with water dwelling cypresses and sheets of itsy bitsy plants. I wish to return to this lake in a kayak or canoe and just paddle for hours.


When my boss and I are not swimming, kayaking or scoping out places to throw a rake, we take in the historical sights. Sometimes we read plaques describing civil war battles or historical figures' triumphs, and sometimes we stop and look at old, deteriorating buildings or old cemeteries. I love walking among the manicured grasses, reading the names and dates of people that lived and died in the little towns that we drive through in a matter of minutes. Near, Murphysboro, one family's plot was so decrepit that four members no longer had headstones but four, unmarked rocks. But usually, the granite and sandstone slabs are all that remain in the cemetery next to their kin. It must be soothing somehow to the locals, whose relatives dwell in these plots. What is is like to visit the gravestone of a relative who lived and died in the early 1800's. Perhaps a great-great-great aunt, who only lived a matter of years, or days. They are remembered, even if their name, the numbers marking their lives...or their stone disappears all together.


So yes, the picture on the right (me kissing the fish) was before I dove the lake (below left) in which I found a huge water snake. The underwater environment was murky, with submerged logs and branches, and very few plants. I went towards the shore on my way up from a dive about 6 feet down, and saw this banded and blotchy long body slithering past me from an opening in a log on the right to a pile of branches on the left. It was enough to get me to swim the other way!!
I did freak out, and I did high-tail it outta there! and I did let the jitters get the best of me, but it was my first water snake experience, so I give myself a little slack. I researched what I saw and I think it was a Northern Watersnake, a non-poisonous variety, but apparently, according to Department of Natural Resources Illinois, they like to nip a bit. All in all, it has been a great few days, and we will probably be here until Thursday this week.



2 comments:

  1. Angela, Take comfort in the fact that a water snake probably wants to get away from YOU too. Also, there are much much fewer snake injuries than there are car accidents. You should be more afraid to get in a car! Just a thought. Suzanna Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha ! "they like to nip a bit"

    The humidity sounds brutal, but it sounds like you're having a great time nonetheless ! That's a part of the country I'm 100% unfamiliar with, glad to get some tidbits. :)

    ReplyDelete